Detention, Lumper Payment Processes for J.B. Hunt Contract Carriers
December 19, 2016 2
Have you ever needed to report a detention delay or request a lumper payment and weren’t sure about the process or procedures to follow? Carriers can be reimbursed for detention when delays are encountered at a shipper or receiver facility beyond the scheduled appointment time. Most companies have specific procedures for reporting detention times and getting paid for detention. Use the following process to ensure detention times are reported accurately for J.B. Hunt loads and payments can be processed efficiently:
Reporting Detention for Carriers
Perform check calls as soon as you arrive for your appointment. This ensures your detention time is calculated correctly. Check calls for J.B. Hunt loads are performed three ways:
- Call the J.B. Hunt Detention Department (1-877-977-7427, option 1) to report arrival/departure time.
- Email email@example.com to report arrival/departure time.
Always note the arrival and departure times at a facility on the Bill of Lading (BoL). Most importantly, read the Carrier Load Confirmation for every load. If there are specific detention requirements listed in the “comments” section, they supersede regular detention reporting procedures. For full explanation of J.B. Hunt’s detention and lumper payment policies and procedures, click here.
Requesting Lumper Payments
Often, lumper fees are a source of frustration if incorrect payment methods and procedures are used. When a J.B. Hunt load requires a lumper service for loading or unloading, contact J.B. Hunt to pay the lumper directly. Use the following procedure:
- Call 1-800-UNLOAD1
- Give the freight specialist the J.B. Hunt load number
- The freight specialist pays the lumper directly
- Keep a copy of the lumper receipt and submit with the load paperwork
- DO NOT pay for lumper service from a cash advance or out-of-pocket – J.B. Hunt WILL NOT reimburse for lumper payments.
Want more information about becoming a carrier for J.B. Hunt? Complete the online carrier packet and begin the journey.